Sistering Partnerships are formed between churches and community groups in the United States and organized communities in El Salvador.
North Americans and Salvadorans are able to form close, lasting relationships. People from the United States share their talents and time with their brothers and sisters in El Salvador and are inspired by the deep faith and hope of the Salvadoran people. Through mutual understanding and compassion, sisters help work for a world where peace and justice prevail.
These are not service trips, but rather focus on building relationships, solidarity with the poor, growing in faith and awareness of social justice issues, and reflection.
- Highlights of a Sistering Relationship
- Sistering Partner and SHARE Commitments
- How to Become a SHARE Sister
- Sistering Partnership Materials
- Current SHARE Sistering Partners
“What came as a surprise, however, was the realization that truly more important to the people of Teosinte are the gifts of our solidarity, friendship and shared faith. They are like pillars of joy, inspiration and strength that lift and support the spirit and work of the community.” Rhonda VanPembrook, member of SHARE Sistering relationship between St Sebastian parish and the community Teosinte.
Sistering Delegations come to El Salvador to build relationships with people, communities and projects. Delegates learn about key themes and visit important sites related to El Salvador’s history and current challenges.
Tours are visits of Salvadoran community members to their U.S. counterparts. They provide opportunities for advocacy, fundraising, education, and relationship-building.
Community Development Projects are regional women and youth organizing initiatives which invest in people and the ability to create structural change for a better life. By working with SHARE, sistering groups are able to support long-term, sustainable, just change and ensure accountability and transparency in the use of their funds
- Support SHARE’s mission and four core values
- Make a three-year minimum commitment
- Raise funds for community organizing projects
- Contribute to SHARE through annual membership
- Come on Delegations to El Salvador and host Tours of Salvadorans
- Engage in Advocacy on behalf of the poor and marginalized in El Salvador
- Organizes, coordinates, and facilitates delegations and tours from El Salvador.
- Administers and monitors projects
- Communicates regularly about projects, including stories of the communities and individuals affected and benefited by sistering partners
- Keeps sistering partners up-to-date about current events and issues in El Salvador through our blog and eNews bulletin
- Helps generate ideas and provides support for fundraising activities
- Helps facilitate communication between U.S. and Salvadoran Sistering Partners.
The people of El Buen Pastor taught us important lessons of humility, hospitality and hope. And, we were able to hear to their stories, worries and dreams. As we left El Buen Pastor and El Salvador, we left with new friends, new perspectives, but most importantly we no longer felt powerless. “I will go, Lord, if you lead me.
The unsettling feelings, though uncomfortable, were necessary. They forced us to reevaluate what is important. And we were forced to look at ourselves and see what we wanted to change about how we treat other people.
While El Buen Pastor needs financial support that is not the only way to assist them. We learned that our time, our support and encouragement are also much-needed gifts. Solidarity, in all its forms, is the most important thing we can give.
The people of El Buen Pastor taught us important lessons of humility, hospitality and hope. And, we were able to hear to their stories, worries and dreams. As we left El Buen Pastor and El Salvador, we left with new friends, new perspectives, but most importantly we no longer felt powerless.”
-Laura Davison, member of a SHARE sistering relationship
SHARE invites you to take the first step toward becoming a SHARE Grassroots Partner: read the Sistering Discernment Guide and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read and share these materials about Sistering Partnerships with SHARE!
SHARE Sistering Discernment Guide 2015
SHARE Grassroots Program Brochure
SHARE and Sistering Partners’ Commitments
SHARE Grassroots Fundraising and Outreach Guide
Go, Be With, Share Bread: Sistering Partner Reflection
Read about our current Sistering Partners!